- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
Clint Eastwood joins call for Supreme Court to strike Calif. gay marriage ban
Hollywood legend Clint Eastwood has joined the ranks of about 130 conservatives that have called on the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn a law that bans same-sex marriage in California.
Mr. Eastwood signed the amici curiae — friend of the Court — brief, asking the high court to strike down the state's Proposition 8, a voter-enacted law in 2008, Raw Story reported. The case before the high court is Hollingsworth v. Perry. The brief states that "marriage is strengthened, not undermined" by letting gay couples marry, MSNBC reports.
Mr. Eastwood, who grabbed the attention of conservatives around the nation for his dramatic and innovative Republican National Convention address — in which he spoke harshly to an imaginary President Obama seated in a chair next to his podium — is about the 130th self-described Republican to sign the petition.
MSNBC reports other notable signers include Paul Wolfowitz, former secretary of Defense; Tom Ridge, former Pennsylvania governor; and Jon Huntsman, former Utah governor.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.