- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Husband and wife behind ‘The Bible’ miniseries
Question of the Day
Except for Downey, few of the actors involved are well known in the United States. Portuguese TV star Diogo Morgado portrays Jesus Christ, and many of the other lead actors are based in Britain.
The television airing of “The Bible” on History is only the beginning for this project. Lifetime will air a repeat each week after a new episode appears on History. It will air internationally, and a DVD package will go on sale this spring. The series’ scripts are bound together into a book. Producers will make a theatrical release movie of a portion of the story, and are looking at showing it in stadiums this fall. Burnett and Downey have also reached a deal to make parts of the film available as part of a religious education curriculum for churches.
“More people will watch this than any of our other series combined over the next three decades,” Burnett said.
Even better, their marriage survived the grueling process intact _ even stronger, Downey said.
“Nobody has taken on the broad vision from Genesis to Revelation, and I think we probably realized at midpoint why no one had done it before,” she said. “It was maddeningly complicated and extraordinarily hard work. We approached it humbly, but we were exhilarated by it.”
EDITOR’S NOTE _ David Bauder can be reached at dbauder(at)ap.org or on Twitter (at)dbauder.
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Obama calls GOP lawsuit over executive overreach a 'political stunt'
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Veteran with concealed weapon turns tables on Chicago gunman
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Homeland Security adviser tweets America is 'Islamic country'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs