- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
Japan set to defend WBC title with young team
Question of the Day
Under Larkin, Brazil shocked the baseball world when it ousted Panama in qualifying on its home turf. The former Cincinnati Reds shortstop was asked to manage the team by the Brazilian Baseball Federation after he conducted MLB-run baseball clinics for young Brazilian players last year.
China got a setback when Kansas City Royals starter Bruce Chen scrapped plans to pitch for the team in this year’s tournament. Chen, who is of Chinese descent, grew up in Panama and pitched for that country in the first two tournaments.
While China’s team is still very much in the developmental stages, the team has a lot of MLB pedigree at the coaching level and will be managed by former Seattle Mariners skipper John McLaren. Former MLB pitcher Bruce Hurst is the pitching coach, while former MLB manager Art Howe is the hitting coach.
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Germany wins World Cup title on Mario Goetze goal in extra time
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- 'Be a leader' Perry tells Obama to confront border crisis
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs