MORAGA, CALIF. (AP) - One of the most powerful mid-major programs in college basketball has been found guilty of breaking some big-time rules.
The NCAA put Saint Mary’s on four years of probation Friday for a “failure to monitor its men’s basketball program,” reducing scholarships and placing other penalties on the team after the governing body said the tiny Catholic college committed several recruiting violations.
A report by the NCAA Committee on Infractions found that Gaels coach Randy Bennett “failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance,” particularly over the recruiting practices of a former assistant. Bennett will not be allowed to recruit off campus and will be suspended for the first five West Coast Conference games next season.
Saint Mary’s will still be allowed to participate in the league tournament and the NCAA tournament but can’t play in preseason or in-season tournaments not already contractually obligated to attend. The team also will have a reduction in scholarships from 13 to 11 for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons and an elimination of all foreign tours until the start of the 2017-18 season.
Bennett said he takes “full responsibility” for the mistakes but thought the penalties were too harsh.
“I regret in any of those areas coming up short in any way,” Bennett said at an afternoon news conference on the chapel lawn. “We’ve had some great moments here at Saint Mary’s, a lot of great moments … this isn’t one of them, and I’m not proud of it. We’re not perfect. I’m not perfect. I’ve made some mistakes along the way here. If I could do it over, I’d do it differently.”
In addition, the NCAA charged an unnamed former assistant with unethical conduct, saying he “knowingly committed violations during the recruitment of three prospects.” The report said that the assistant arranged for travel to the United States and lodging with a local family for at least one recruit and that Bennett was aware of the activity.
“These should have been red flags,” Britton Banowsky, chair of the Committee on Infractions and commissioner of Conference USA, said during a conference call explaining the findings.
Saint Mary’s President, Brother Ronald Gallagher, said the university accepts the findings in the report but will consider an appeal on the penalties. The school has two weeks to file an appeal, he said.
“Saint Mary’s was founded on principles of integrity, service and Catholic values and we expect all in our community to act according to those values,” Gallagher said.
Saint Mary’s athletic director Mark Orr and Bennett both declined to name the assistant but said the coach started working at the university in 2008 and resigned in August 2009. The report also said the coach previously worked for a professional sports agency.
Keith Moss, who has worked for sports agencies, coached at Saint Mary’s for the 2008-09 season and resigned in August 2009. Bennett still shouldered the blame for not doing more when he had the chance.
“This is on nobody else,” Bennett said. “This is on me.”
If the assistant seeks employment at an NCAA member school in the next two years, he and the school must appear before the committee to determine if the school should be subject to the show-cause procedures. The NCAA also said Saint Mary’s received “impermissible training and coaching sessions from trainers not employed by the school.”
While Saint Mary’s rise has been predicated largely on its Australian pipeline, Orr said the major violations handed down by the NCAA involved the recruitment of French players by the former assistant. None of those players ever attended the university, Orr said, though some secondary violations included Australian players who did.