- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Cards manager Mike Matheny to have back surgery
Question of the Day
JUPITER, FLA. (AP) - Cardinals manager Mike Matheny planned to leave the team after Sunday’s spring training game and return to St. Louis for surgery to repair a ruptured disk in his lower back.
Matheny expects to be back at spring training for Thursday’s game against Atlanta in Jupiter.
“There is still a fragment that is stuck in a spot where it’s getting to the nerve and affecting what is going on back there,” Matheny said prior to Sunday’s game against the New York Mets.
The 42-year-old Matheny, who replaced Tony La Russa as manager after the 2011 season, said early in spring training that the injury probably traces back to his days as a big league catcher from 1994-06.
“They seem pretty confident this will take care of it,” he said of the surgeons.
The ruptured disk sends pain into his right leg, which became severe on Feb. 28 and caused him to skip the next day’s game against Houston at Kissimmee.
An epidural injection on March 4 failed to relieve the pain.
“We were hoping it would kind of settle down and go away, but it really hasn’t,” Matheny said.
The pain is at its worst when Matheny stands after sitting for any length. He decided to have the surgery now, before plane trips during the regular season.
“I hate that it’s been as big a deal as it’s been,” he said. “I’m anxious to get it over.”
Bench coach Mike Aldrete will manage the team in Matheny’s absence.
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- New York Times reporter Carol Vogel accused of plagiarism
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world