- French president accuses Syria’s Assad of gassing his own citizens
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson makes gains in governor’s race in Georgia
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al Qaeda training camps
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
High-speed crash on Key Bridge kills driver
By the time the car came to a rest on its roof in the early hours of Sunday morning, the luxury vehicle had flipped five times, killing its driver and ejecting one of its passengers.
Arlington police were still investigating why the 21-year-old man behind the wheel of the 2005 BMW M5 was driving 90 miles per hour across the Key Bridge, ultimately losing control of the car and sending it flipping along the area of Lee Highway and Fort Myer Drive.
Police spokesman Dustin Sternbeck said the incident happened at about 4:58 a.m. The car was carrying two other men in their early 20s. All three were from Leesburg.
The car was heading from Georgetown to Arlington via the bridge when it hit a bend in the road, Mr. Sternbeck said, causing the driver to lose control. The vehicle flipped four or five times before coming to a stop upside down.
One of the passengers was ejected from the car, and he was found unconscious by emergency responders. The other passenger was able to extricate himself from the car but suffered critical injuries, Mr. Sternbeck said.
Both passengers were taken to a hospital, but an update on their conditions was not immediately available.
Mr. Sternbeck said the crash diverted traffic for nearly six hours.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No rest for the retired: Cardinal McCarrick on a mission for peace in Africa
- The sun also rises on Easter in the District
- Higher Ground: Colbert the Catholic
- Feeling taxed today? How about a prayer to St. Matthew?
- 'Matzah Factory' provides hands-on experience for learning about Passover
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.