- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Cashman expresses interest in Chipper Jones
Question of the Day
TAMPA, FLA. (AP) - Chipper Jones in a New York Yankees’ uniform?
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman expressed interest Monday in the retired Atlanta Braves star as New York tries to shore up an injury decimated roster.
“He’d be perfect,” Cashman said. “I’d take Larry in a heartbeat. I think everybody would.”
New York is missing third baseman Alex Rodriguez, sidelined until at least July following hip surgery, and first baseman Mark Teixeira, out until May because of a strained tendon in his right wrist.
If Jones could slot in at third, Kevin Youkilis would shift over to first.
Cashman also said that he has talked to 37-year-old Derrek Lee, who hasn’t played since 2011, when he hit .267 with 19 homers and 59 RBIs for Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Lee, a first baseman, appeared to be intrigued by the situation.
“Nothing ventured, nothing gained,” Cashman said.
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- SOWELL:Bordering on immigration madness
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq