Monday is the deadline for candidates to announce their intent to run for the nation’s highest office and to file paperwork, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Mr. Capriles, 40, has sought the office before. In October, he lost by 10 percentage points, L.A. Times says, but was re-elected to governor of Miranda two months later.
He is now accusing the government of “shameful” actions and unconstitutional strategies to keep him from a fair run at the presidency. The Supreme Court is allowing Mr. Maduro to campaign for president at the same time he holds the position on an interim basis — an illegal decision that actually “rig[s] the game,” Mr. Capriles accuses, in the L.A. Times report.
“I say to the people of Venezuela, I will fight for all of you,” Mr. Capriles said at a televised news conference in suburban Caracas, the L.A. Times quotes. “Nicolas, I will not leave the way open for you. I will fight for every vote, whatever the cost.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Elaine Donnelly
Extending sexual misconduct to combat units
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention