- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Phoenix’s BizNasty scoring on Twitter
Question of the Day
PHOENIX (AP) - EDITOR’S NOTE _ Phoenix Coyotes enforcer Paul Bissonnette adopted Twitter reluctantly but has now become an unlikely star on the social media network. In keeping with Twitter style, this story about Bissonnette’s online personality is broken up into lines of 140 characters or less. Sections written by sports writer John Marshall are preceded by his Twitter handle (jmarshallap). Quotes from other sources are preceded by the handle or name of the person being quoted and set off by quotation marks. Actual tweets are clearly noted when they appear in the story.
jmarshallap: Biz has the knuckle scabs and mangled nose of a brawler, but a cache of Twitter followers more suited for a star, 397K and counting.
That’s more than Patrick Kane (255K), Henrik Lundqvist (231K), Steven Stamkos (226K). (hash)rare.
ShaneDoan (Coyotes captain): “It is unique. Look around the league and there’s not that many people in his position who have that many followers. He’s amazing that way.”
jmarshallap: Tough and quirky, enforcers have always been fan favorites.
The Twitterverse sent Biz into another realm for a player who sat out half his team’s games last season.
BizNasty2point0: “It just blew up.”
Jmashallap: Now he’s got a Taco Bell commercial, a clothing line with Sauce Hockey, a fervent following.
DonMaloney: “We had a youth team come down from Canada and 4-5 of the kids went to Shane, 1 to Mike Smith and the rest went to BizNasty’s locker.”
jmarshallap: Biz hated Twitter initially, put off by updates on tanning, shopping, relationships. (hash)vapid
BizNasty2point0: “I thought it was dumb; they have 20,000 tweets and 100 followers, and it’s like what are doing with your life? Do something productive.”
jmarshallap: Former teammate Scottie Upshall changed things. Told Biz to joke, comment on TV sporting events. (hash)perfectfit.
By Scott Pinsker
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Computer glitch caused odd Saturday release of D.C. guns ruling
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq