- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
Speed cited in Ohio crash that killed 6 teens
Police say speed, not alcohol or drugs, was a key factor in a crash that killed six of eight teenagers in an SUV headed down an Ohio roadway on Sunday.
The vehicle slammed into a guardrail and flipped into a pond on a road near Warren, about 60 miles east of Cleveland. Five boys and the young woman who was driving were killed.
The two boys who survived ran from the vehicle — which had come to rest upside down in the pond — to a nearby home and called 911, police said.
“We will not be speculating on alcohol and/or drug usage pending toxicology reports,” said State Highway Patrol Lt. Brian Holt during a news conference in which he cited high speed as a factor in the accident.
No one in the SUV had permission to take it, but there were no theft reports, Lt. Holt said. The vehicle was licensed to a resident of Youngstown, about 20 miles away
“All I know is my baby is gone,” said Derrick Ray, who viewed his 15-year-old son’s body at the county morgue.
• This article is based in part on wire service reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
- Chocolate costs soar, becoming 'unaffordable' luxury
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.