- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
Bolshoi director: Acid attack dancer may keep job
MOSCOW (AP) - A leading Bolshoi dancer suspected of involvement in an acid attack on the theater's ballet chief would keep his job if acquitted by a court, the Bolshoi director said Tuesday.
Anatoly Iksanov made the statement after 300 Bolshoi employees issued an open letter defending 29-year-old leading soloist Pavel Dmitrichenko, who was arrested last week on suspicion of organizing the Jan. 17 attack on artistic director Sergei Filin that severely burned his eyes and face.
Dmitrichenko told a Moscow court last week that he gave his blessing to the attack, but never expected that the assailant would go as far as to throw acid in Filin's face. He said he was angry at Filin for what he described as corruption and favoritism at the theater.
Bolshoi dancers said in the open letter that they believe that Dmitrichenko slandered himself under "brutal pressure" by police. The letter said that police failed to produce any evidence of Dmitrichenko's guilt and demanded that the government launch an independent probe into the case.
Reacting to the letter, Iksanov called a news conference to say that Dmitrichenko, who has recently starred in the title part of Ivan the Terrible, won't be fired unless found guilty.
"If the court proves his innocence, then, sure, we will have no legal grounds to fire Dmitrichenko," he said.
Iksanov said he shares the ballet troupe's concern that the "investigation could be biased" and said he believes Dmitrichenko when the dancer says he was plotting the attack, but not the violent form that it took.
The Bolshoi's director pledged to keep Dmitrichenko on payroll for the time being, but added that it is virtually impossible for a dancer to return to work after a year's break. It is unclear when his trial could start and how long it could last.
The Interior Ministry said in a statement Tuesday that police will conduct a fair probe.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He's a 'scumbag'
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes