- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
- China spends for 17 new warships as U.S. cuts back military
- In Japan, Obama plays soccer with a robot and warns students of climate change
Democratic Sen. Patty Murray’s budget plan delivers $1 trillion tax increase
Sen. Patty Murray’s budget, due to be debated by fellow Democrats in a closed-door meeting with President Obama on Tuesday, will raise taxes by almost $1 trillion, unnamed sources say.
The budget plan also is supposed to cut spending by nearly the same amount, Politico reports. Public discussion of the plan at the committee level is set to start Wednesday.
The budget proposal represents the Democrat-controlled Senate’s first in more than 1,000 days. It’s not binding, Politico reminds, but it does give the Democratic Party a direction for more budget discussions.
The plan is a sharp counter to a budget proposal from Rep. Paul Ryan, Wisconsin Republican and House Budget Committee chairman, which looks to trim $4.6 trillion in federal expenditures.
“It will be a stark contrast,” said Senate Majority Whip Richard J. Durbin, Illinois Democrat, in Politico.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Netanyahu's driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Psychologist blasts youth sports league's 'everybody wins' mantra
- Sports league's 'everybody wins' mantra hits psycbologist's hackles
- Angry Japan politician insists Obamas to divorce: It's an 'open secret'
- Gov. Rick Perry: 'It's not a dare, it's a promise'; Texas will fight BLM
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014