- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Penske Racing president has 2nd job with son’s car
Carefully, too, of course.
“My day job’s a lot easier than being a father and a car owner,” he said Tuesday during a break from IndyCar testing at Barber Motorsports Park.
Austin Cindric is the only 14-year-old currently competing in that series. Part of the Mazda Road to Indy ladder, USF2000 lowered its age limits to allow 14-year-olds to seek admission this year and dad thinks he’s up to the challenge.
Even with that kind of backing, watching your son speed around tracks is a little more anxiety-inducing than when Penske IndyCar veterans like Will Power and Helio Castroneves get behind the wheel.
“For me as a father, I’d much rather he have a golf club in his hand than a steering wheel.”
Austin, says the proud dad, is “basically a straight-A student” who plays in the band at Cannon School in Concord, N.C.
He got a little ribbing from the Andretti crew for doing homework for a Chinese class in between testing sessions at a previous stop. Then came another reality check.
“He went from running 150 miles an hour to going back to the eighth grade,” Cindric said. “He said it’s a pretty big change.”
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Paul Ryan to meet with black lawmakers after 'inner cities' flap
- Georgia's new carry law a big win for gun rights
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014