- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gun buybacks a criminal’s dream
Question of the Day
When an idea sounds too good to be true, it probably is. This applies especially to gun buyback programs (“Gun buyback program won’t end violence,” Web, Jan. 2). These programs are simply evidence of loopholes created by feel-good bureaucrats, and they are perfect opportunities to legally dispose of weapons that may have been used to commit violent crimes.
If you’re a criminal, there are precious few times you can commit a crime, give the police your gun and then receive a “gift certificate.” That’s exactly what happens with the no-questions-asked gun buyback programs. Serial killers, robbers and gangbangers who have been hiding their rusty, old Saturday night specials or assault weapons in the backyard for the past 10 years suddenly have an opportunity to dig them up and exchange crime-scene evidence for cash or a Wal-Mart gift certificate.
When the only evidence linking a suspect to a crime can now be purchased by law enforcement or municipalities, who says crime doesn’t pay?
Santa Barbara, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
Get Breaking Alerts
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Houston mayor: Sorry that police put man's blind dog on road to die
- HUSAIN: Worlds grand ayatollahs rally behind Sistani