- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Reruns of CBS drama ‘The Good Wife’ to play online
LOS ANGELES (AP) - CBS Corp. is rolling out past seasons of “The Good Wife” online, the first time the broadcaster is allowing Internet access to a drama that is still airing new episodes on TV.
The deal announced Wednesday means that the first three seasons of the hit crime show will be available starting Thursday to fans who pay for Amazon.com’s Prime membership, which costs $79 a year.
Hulu Plus subscribers who pay $8 a month will be able to see the back seasons of the show in September.
The fourth season of the show wraps up in March and the fifth season is expected in the fall.
CBS had previously not licensed shows that were still on air to online video providers. It lifted that restriction with some reality TV shows such as “Survivor” and “The Amazing Race,” which began playing on Hulu Plus in January.
CBS was the last among the broadcasters to see the benefit of putting back seasons of currently airing TV shows online.
After studying the matter, executives came to believe that putting shows that have season-long story lines online allows fans to catch up. Those fans then show up to watch new episodes when they air on TV.
“We looked at this as an opportunity to get the most amount of money and give the shows the best exposure to increase ratings on the network,” said CBS’ chief content licensing officer, Scott Koondel, in an interview.
Past episodes of “The Good Wife” will also run on The Hallmark Channel next January and on local TV stations in September 2014.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Glenn Beck takes on Hollywood with big movie production plans
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.