- Obama goes golfing as family mourns aunt’s death in Boston
- Atheists win prayer battle against California city council
- Americans for Prosperity ad attacks N.H. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen’s Obamacare vote
- Senate races are close in Southern states, poll shows
- Texas A&M kicks off FAA-backed drone tests for business ventures
- Bad loser: ‘Call of Duty’ gamer calls in SWAT team on teen who won
- Sen. Rand Paul: Limited Washington experience isn’t always bad
- Ben Sasse scores Sen. Ted Cruz’s endorsement for Nebraska Senate primary
- Beer-flavored lollipops make debut: ‘An All-American slam-dunk’
- Gabby Giffords’ gun control push gets high-profile speaker: Bill Clinton
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Fair Tax Act would help root out corruption
History repeatedly has demonstrated that when a people and their leaders lose their virtue, freedom perishes. It has recently come to light that Sen. Robert Menendez, New Jersey Democrat, allegedly sponsored and promoted legislation that would benefit a major donor to his political campaign. The legislation in question would have granted special tax credits and grants to a company in which Mr. Menendez’s donor had invested heavily.
This is how entrenched politicians maintain their hold on power. They manipulate the tax code to reward those contributing to their re-election campaigns. Without the income tax, they would not have this tool to play the “scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours” game.
There is a bill in Congress that would rectify this anti-virtuous system. It is the Fair Tax Act. It takes taxation out of the hands of politicians. We must eliminate this corrupt system we have in place before we are completely ruined. Another principle from long ago says, “Righteousness exalts a nation; but sin is a reproach to any people.”
FRANK C. KUCHAR
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
Get Breaking Alerts
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- EDITORIAL: Voting with one's feet shows folly of liberal economic policies
- EDITORIAL: Court strikes blow for campus colorblindness on affirmative action