- Canada doing away with door-to-door mail delivery by 2018
- NSA chief defends phone spying: ‘There is no other way’
- Hawaii Health Department head killed in plane crash
- Colorado school drops sexual harassment label on boy who kissed girl’s hand
- Australia court strikes down 5-day-old, gay-marriage law
- Fake interpreter at Mandela service: ‘Sorry,’ I have schizophrenia
- George Zimmerman will not be charged in domestic dispute
- Russian officials press bilateral U.S. trade deal
- Creator of ‘Selfies at Funerals’ blog retires after Obama flub: ‘Our work here is done’
- New Obama adviser Podesta is against Keystone but will steer clear of pipeline deliberations
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Fair Tax Act would help root out corruption
Question of the Day
History repeatedly has demonstrated that when a people and their leaders lose their virtue, freedom perishes. It has recently come to light that Sen. Robert Menendez, New Jersey Democrat, allegedly sponsored and promoted legislation that would benefit a major donor to his political campaign. The legislation in question would have granted special tax credits and grants to a company in which Mr. Menendez's donor had invested heavily.
This is how entrenched politicians maintain their hold on power. They manipulate the tax code to reward those contributing to their re-election campaigns. Without the income tax, they would not have this tool to play the "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" game.
There is a bill in Congress that would rectify this anti-virtuous system. It is the Fair Tax Act. It takes taxation out of the hands of politicians. We must eliminate this corrupt system we have in place before we are completely ruined. Another principle from long ago says, "Righteousness exalts a nation; but sin is a reproach to any people."
FRANK C. KUCHAR
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Study IDs reasons for late-term abortions
- DIVEST! Oil is the new apartheid on college campuses
- Colorado school drops sexual harassment label on boy who kissed girl's hand
- MILLER: Dick Heller challenges D.C.s gun registration, files for summary judgment in Heller II