- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Bomb, shooting in Egypt kills 2 police officers
Jennifer Garner loves pictures of bearded Affleck
NEW YORK (AP) - Jennifer Garner tries not to look at reviews of the outfits she wears because, inevitably, someone isn’t going to like it.
“It’s not good for my self-esteem,” she said Wednesday while in New York to open the Neutrogena Sun Summit.
The exception was after the Oscars last month. Garner’s violet-colored, custom-made Gucci gown was a winner _ but that wasn’t what she was looking for after husband Ben Affleck’s film “Argo” won best picture. “I reveled in all those good pictures of him,” she said.
Garner, a Neutrogena spokeswoman, practices what she preaches when it comes to sun safety. Her children make sure of it.
In her household, sunscreen is like seat belts: non-negotiable. Garner said while she was away Wednesday, the kids surely would remind their dad if he dropped them at school without their daily slathering.
“I think I once told my kids it was against the law not to wear sunscreen,” she said.
An eager science student growing up, Garner, 40, said the conference’s terminology _ and warnings _ about the ozone layer and ultraviolet rays isn’t lost on her. She joked, though, that she wouldn’t want to be quoted on exactly what the Helioplex formulation is or what vitamin C can do for the skin.
But she had her “a-ha” moment about sun damage in her 20s, when she was out with friends. “They all had big hats on, and I didn’t.”
“Suddenly you look one day and the sun damage is there … and then you see it increase exponentially.”
She’ll take little credit for that Oscar night look _ calling it a team effort led by Rachel Zoe. The partnership between Zoe and Garner goes back more than a decade, with Garner as the stylist’s first big Hollywood client.
Garner’s outfit Wednesday _ an Oscar de la Renta sheath dress and pointy-toe pumps in black patent leather _ hit the right balance. In her casual style, Garner, wearing a smile, described the look as “just a little purple Oscar number.”
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
- Justice Dept.'s new clemency guidelines: Crack offenders most obvious candidates
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014