- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Ukraine’s Crimea seeks to become independent state
- Ex-Gov. Christie aides to judge: Quash subpoenas
Jennifer Garner loves pictures of bearded Affleck
NEW YORK (AP) - Jennifer Garner tries not to look at reviews of the outfits she wears because, inevitably, someone isn’t going to like it.
“It’s not good for my self-esteem,” she said Wednesday while in New York to open the Neutrogena Sun Summit.
The exception was after the Oscars last month. Garner’s violet-colored, custom-made Gucci gown was a winner _ but that wasn’t what she was looking for after husband Ben Affleck’s film “Argo” won best picture. “I reveled in all those good pictures of him,” she said.
Garner, a Neutrogena spokeswoman, practices what she preaches when it comes to sun safety. Her children make sure of it.
In her household, sunscreen is like seat belts: non-negotiable. Garner said while she was away Wednesday, the kids surely would remind their dad if he dropped them at school without their daily slathering.
“I think I once told my kids it was against the law not to wear sunscreen,” she said.
An eager science student growing up, Garner, 40, said the conference’s terminology _ and warnings _ about the ozone layer and ultraviolet rays isn’t lost on her. She joked, though, that she wouldn’t want to be quoted on exactly what the Helioplex formulation is or what vitamin C can do for the skin.
But she had her “a-ha” moment about sun damage in her 20s, when she was out with friends. “They all had big hats on, and I didn’t.”
“Suddenly you look one day and the sun damage is there … and then you see it increase exponentially.”
She’ll take little credit for that Oscar night look _ calling it a team effort led by Rachel Zoe. The partnership between Zoe and Garner goes back more than a decade, with Garner as the stylist’s first big Hollywood client.
Garner’s outfit Wednesday _ an Oscar de la Renta sheath dress and pointy-toe pumps in black patent leather _ hit the right balance. In her casual style, Garner, wearing a smile, described the look as “just a little purple Oscar number.”
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Redskins free agency: 5 positions to watch
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- CPAC 2014: Despite Ben Carson's speech, gay marriage mostly took a back seat at CPAC
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again