- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
Malaysia’s Tan Twan Eng wins Man Asia book prize
HONG KONG (AP) - Malaysian author Tan Twan Eng’s novel “The Garden of Evening Mists” has won the 2012 Man Asian Literary Prize.
Tan’s novel is set in the traumatic aftermath of Japan’s wartime occupation of Malaya, now known as Malaysia. It tells the story of a young law school graduate who is the sole survivor of a Japanese work camp. She encounters the secretive owner and creator of the country’s only Japanese garden.
The judges called it “a novel of subtle power and redemptive grace.”
The book beat four others Thursday night to win the $30,000 award, one of Asia’s most prestigious. Tan’s book is only the second winner to be written in English.
Tan worked as an intellectual property lawyer before becoming an author. He has written one other novel.
The other novels on the short list were “Between Clay and Dust” by Musharraf Ali Farooqi of Pakistan, “The Briefcase” by Hiromi Kawakami of Japan, “Silent House” by Orhan Pamuk of Turkey and “Narcopolis” by Jeet Thayil of India.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014