- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Malaysia’s Tan Twan Eng wins Man Asia book prize
HONG KONG (AP) - Malaysian author Tan Twan Eng’s novel “The Garden of Evening Mists” has won the 2012 Man Asian Literary Prize.
Tan’s novel is set in the traumatic aftermath of Japan’s wartime occupation of Malaya, now known as Malaysia. It tells the story of a young law school graduate who is the sole survivor of a Japanese work camp. She encounters the secretive owner and creator of the country’s only Japanese garden.
The judges called it “a novel of subtle power and redemptive grace.”
The book beat four others Thursday night to win the $30,000 award, one of Asia’s most prestigious. Tan’s book is only the second winner to be written in English.
Tan worked as an intellectual property lawyer before becoming an author. He has written one other novel.
The other novels on the short list were “Between Clay and Dust” by Musharraf Ali Farooqi of Pakistan, “The Briefcase” by Hiromi Kawakami of Japan, “Silent House” by Orhan Pamuk of Turkey and “Narcopolis” by Jeet Thayil of India.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Skeptics on all sides take aim of John Kerry's tentative deal on Ukraine
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.