- Putin tells Merkel that Ukraine is on the brink of civil war
- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
- NYPD disbands unit that spied on Muslims to go after ‘real bad guys’
- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
Man accused of being ‘home-grown terrorist’ sentenced for NYC synagogue bomb plot
NEW YORK — A man who pleaded guilty to rare state-level charges that he plotted to blow up New York City synagogues has been sentenced to 10 years in prison.
Ahmed Ferhani was one of two men arrested in a May 2011 weapons-buying sting. Authorities called him a home-grown terrorist out to avenge abuse of Muslims around the world.
At his sentencing Friday, Ferhani apologized for humiliating his family and he said he would spend his years in jail strengthening his mind and character.
Ferhani’s lawyers initially said the Algeria native was mentally unstable. They also said the prosecution was based on insufficient evidence and dubious tactics.
Ferhani pleaded guilty in December.
A grand jury declined to indict Ferhani and a co-defendant on a top-level terror conspiracy charge.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Bill Clinton falls off vegan diet wagon but not vegan label
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes