KISSIMMEE, FLA. (AP) - New York Mets third baseman David Wright has a moderate strain on the left side of his rib cage that will shut him down until next week, leaving his status for opening day uncertain.
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said Wright would rest for three to five days. Only time will tell whether the 30-year-old star is ready to begin the regular season on April 1, the GM said Friday.
“Anything about his availability for opening day is speculative,” Alderson said. “Is it possible he’ll be out for a longer time? Sure.”
Wright, the Mets‘ career hits leader, was a late scratch from the United States lineup against the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic on Thursday night. He returned to New York for tests and was examined by Dr. David Altchek at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan.
Wright signed an eight-year, $138 million extension with the Mets in the offseason. He missed most of the spring training games last year with a torn rib cage muscle. Alderson said he didn’t think the injury was related to a stress fracture Wright sustained in his lower back in 2011.
“I didn’t exactly have the best breakfast today. It was a little sour tasting,” he said.
As for the return of his star right-handed hitter, “if he can’t swing for two weeks, there’s going to be a progression. It’ll be a slow progression,” Collins said.
“It’s unfair for me to predict when he might be back.”
While Wright said he had been feeling soreness for almost a week, Alderson said the team was not aware of any issues until Thursday. The decision to pull Wright from the lineup came about 20 minutes before the start of the WBC game, after Wright was fully dressed and had taken batting practice.
“It was yesterday we became aware of the problem and when we became aware of it, we contacted Team USA immediately and had him re-examined,” Alderson said. “We also, in addition to the medical track, on the administrative side, we contacted other team officials. So he was examined and the determination was that he would not play.
“I think David _ I’m not sure when this was first experienced _ he had hoped it would go away. It didn’t and he felt a responsibility to deal with it. Again, when we were alerted, we took what we thought was the right course of action.”View Entire Story
By Elaine Donnelly
Extending sexual misconduct to combat units
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Reviews, insights and commentary from an eclectic observer.
The world as veteran journalist Vance Garnett sees it, and saw it.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention