- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Uncle Sam less resourceful?
President Obama canceled public tours of the White House in response to sequestration cuts (“White House visitors, get lost,” Comment & Analysis, March 8). Before doing so, did the president consult with Alan Krueger, chairman of his Council of Economic Advisers?
Mr. Krueger argues (along with some other economists) that a modest hike in the minimum wage causes no increase in unemployment, in part because firms respond to the higher wage by using greater resourcefulness in working their low-wage employees. More generally, as Mr. Krueger said last month in a PBS interview, “employers might also discover some ways of saving waste that they had before when the minimum wage increases.” Mr. Krueger’s presumption is that firms operate with enough “slack” to permit them to absorb minor hikes in their wage bill without changing their procedures.
But if private firms can easily and without any negative effects adjust to a small, government-imposed tightening of their budgets, why cannot government agencies do the same? Perhaps, after all, political cynics are correct that heads of government agencies are both less resourceful and less responsive to their customers than are private business people.
DONALD J. BOUDREAUX
Professor of economics, Martha and Nelson Getchell Chair for the Study of Free Market Capitalism at the Mercatus Center
George Mason University
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'