- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
GOP lawmakers: Obama administration blocking access to Benghazi survivors
More than six months since the deadly attacks on Americans in Benghazi, Libya, Republican lawmakers say they are still looking for answers and are frustrated that the White House is blocking access to an unknown number of survivors.
The Washington Times learned Friday that the State Department has failed to respond to a letter written nearly three weeks ago by two House Republicans seeking answers about the survivors, as many as seven of whom are believed to still be at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center recovering from injuries sustained in Benghazi.
As news trickled out this month that newly confirmed Secretary of State John F. Kerry had made a secret visit to one of the injured survivors at the hospital in Bethesda, frustration mounted in the office of Rep. Frank R. Wolf of Virginia, who co-wrote the March 1 letter to Mr. Kerry with Rep. Jim Gerlach of Pennsylvania.
“If somebody’s still being treated six months after the attack, I think the American people need to have the truth,” said Mr. Wolf, who voiced his frustration Friday that Mr. Kerry could have made such a trip to Walter Reed while ignoring a letter from Congress seeking answers about the survivors.
In the letter, Mr. Wolf and Mr. Gerlach told Mr. Kerry that an unnamed reliable source had informed them that “as many as 30 Americans (including State Department and CIA personnel and government contractors) may have been injured in the attack.”
“This source indicated that as many as seven Americans have been or are currently being treated at the hospital,” the congressmen wrote. “We would like to visit with the individuals presently at Walter Reed as they have endured much for their country and we owe them a debt of gratitude.”
“Furthermore, having served in Benghazi, the perspective of these individuals would provide invaluable insight to a dark day in American history — a day which is still shrouded in much mystery.”
Mr. Wolf told The Times on Friday that while Mr. Kerry’s office had called him saying there would be a response to the letter last week, no such response ever arrived. Mr. Gerlach’s office did not immediately responded with a comment.
In recent weeks, however, others on Capitol Hill have complained that Obama administration officials have dropped the ball when it comes to getting information from the survivors, or allowing Congress to access them.
“We want [to] talk to the survivors — they won’t do that,” Rep. Jason Chaffetz, Utah Republican, said during a March 6 interview with Fox News, which was first to report that Mr. Kerry had visited with one of the survivors at Walter Reed.
The network was also first to report on claims that three diplomatic security agents, as well as a State Department contractor, were among the Americans injured during the Sept. 11, 2012, attacks, in which Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, State Department officer Sean Smith and former Navy SEALs Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods were killed.
Mr. Chaffetz, who has been among the most vocal critics of the attack narrative created during the past six months by the Obama administration, complained to Fox News that President Obama had “the gall” to go on television after the attacks and “say ‘Oh, we’re providing all the access.’”
“Baloney. Bullcrap. That is not happening,” Mr. Chaffetz said.
Outside of the administration’s inner intelligence circles, questions about those who survived the attacks — along with how many individuals were stationed at what administration officials have described as the “CIA annex” in Benghazi — have remained a hot topic of speculation among foreign policy and national specialists.
According to official accounts by the State Department, the CIA facility came under mortar attack hours after a group of armed militants had stormed the diplomatic post. What remains unclear is whether an official review of the incident conducted by the State Department and the White House-appointed director of national intelligence made any effort to interview survivors.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Guy Taylor is the National Security Team Leader at The Washington Times, overseeing the paper’s State Department, Pentagon and intelligence community coverage. He’s also a frequent guest on The McLaughlin Group and C-SPAN.
His series on political, economic and security developments in Mexico won a 2012 Virginia Press Association award.
Prior to rejoining The Times in 2011, his work was ...
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. fears Afghan services may be cut as corruption sharply reduces customs taxes
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz questions $175 million USAID 'slush fund' for Afghans
- Amid growing unrest, GOP presses for arming Ukraine
- John McCain blasts John Kerry in heated Senate hearing
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.