- Florida judge slaps GOP’s redistricting plans: You ‘made a mockery’ of process
- Muslims give Obama high marks over first half of 2014
- Pennsylvania sends draft notices to 14K dead men
- KISS rocker Gene Simmons touts 1 percent life: ‘It’s fantastic’
- Texas shooting suspect had faced other charges
- Californian who sold secret to China sentenced to 15 years in prison
- Couple, 3 kids among 7 killed in Massachusetts apartment fire
- Angry mom to Obama: Feds let illegal immigrant stay and ‘KILL my son!’
- Mideast hostilities ratchet as rockets from Lebanon strike Israel
- Mexican train carrying 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S. derails
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Holocaust denier Abbas no partner for peace
Question of the Day
Dave Gordon’s article, “Obama should use Israel trip to promote real peace” (Web, March 9), is excellent, calling on the president to make clear that demonizing our ally Israel is unacceptable. I would add one specific request: If President Obama truly wishes to promote peace, he must demand that Palestinian National Authority President Mahmoud Abbas publicly repudiate his vile 1984 book “The Other Side: The Secret Relationship Between Nazism and Zionism.”
Few people realize that Mr. Abbas — often described in ostensibly objective news reports as a peace-seeking moderate — is the author of a mendacious and hateful Holocaust-revisionist polemic. Mr. Abbas‘ book, originally written as a doctoral dissertation at a Soviet university in Moscow, called the Holocaust “The Zionist fantasy, the fantastic lie that 6 million Jews were killed.” He insisted that “many scholars” have determined that “only a few hundred thousand” Jews actually died, and claimed that a “scientific study” proved there were no gas chambers. Moreover, he asserted that the Holocaust was actually a secret Nazi-Zionist conspiracy, claiming, “The Zionist movement led a broad campaign of incitement … to expand the mass extermination.” The Anti-Defamation League and David S. Wyman Institute for Holocaust Studies have both condemned the book as Holocaust denial.
It is tempting to dismiss Mr. Abbas‘ fallacious screed as ancient history. Just this January, however, Mr. Abbas defended the book, telling Beirut-based al-Mayadeen television that he has “70 more books that I still haven’t published” alleging Zionist-Nazi ties. Clearly, he remains an unrepentant Holocaust denier.
Yet Mr. Abbas, the Palestinian “Teflon don,” has mysteriously escaped the stain of his own hateful words. The New York Times has mentioned Mr. Abbas‘ vile book only once in a news article, buried in the 20th paragraph of an otherwise fawning 23-paragraph profile story on March 11, 2003. The Washington Post has alluded to it three times: twice (May 10, 2003 and Jan. 16, 2005) in profiles that said Mr. Abbas had earned “a doctorate in history from Moscow’s Oriental College,” without explaining the despicable subject matter of his dissertation, and a third time (May 27, 2009) in a profile hailing him as a man of peace who was “trained as a lawyer and historian,” without mentioning that his “historian” credentials rest on an anti-historical Holocaust-revisionist tirade.
Until Mr. Abbas publicly disavows his Holocaust-denying diatribe, he has absolutely no credibility as a partner for peace.
STEPHEN A. SILVER
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Senate majority leader practices politics of personal destruction
Get Breaking Alerts
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Pennsylvania sends draft notices to 14K dead men: 'We made a mistake'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Israel rejects talk of cease-fire; Hamas targets suspected nuke site
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- BRUCE: The feds plot to steal your paycheck
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama has no intention of repatriating illegals
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: America: Land of the free no more?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wage-theft by employers needs legislative remedy
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Douglass would abhor affirmative action
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's voter bloc of 'entitlement' illegals