- Rep. Marsha Blackburn: Hillary Clinton won’t be first female president
- French president accuses Syria’s Assad of gassing his own citizens
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson makes gains in governor’s race in Georgia
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al Qaeda training camps
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
Holy smokes: Bloomberg wants cigarettes hidden in NYC stores
In his latest health push, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is proposing a bill that would require retailers to keep tobacco products out of sight.
"Such displays suggest that smoking is a normal activity," the mayor said. "And they invite young people to experiment with tobacco."
The legislation would require retailers to keep tobacco products hidden in a cabinet or drawer. The mayor said Iceland, Canada, England and Ireland have similar laws.
The legislation, to be introduced in the City Council on Wednesday, is comprised of two separate bills.
The second, called the "Sensible Tobacco Enforcement" bill, would prohibit the sale of discounted tobacco products, impose packaging requirements on cheap cigars and create a price floor for cigarette packs and small cigars, the Associated Press reports.
Mr. Bloomberg is currently appealing a bill that would outlaw the sale of sugary drinks more than 16 ounces in Manhattan.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Discovery Channel cancels Mount Everest jump after avalanche kills 13
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Malaysia Airlines flight makes emergency landing in Kuala Lumpur
- 7-year-old twin boys fight off carjacker with toy snake
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.