- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on ‘outdated’ agencies
- Pregnancies decline overall, up among older women
- Pentagon plans to destroy Syrian chemical arms on ship at sea
- Paris Metro issues ‘politeness manual’ to improve passengers’ behavior
- Justin Bieber, crew detained at Australian airport in drug search
- Lee Rigby trial: Muslim who machete-hacked soldier calls it ‘humane’ kill
- GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
- Putin’s diplomats to U.S. busted for living high life off $1.5M bilked from Medicaid
- Happy Meal: Couple goes to McDonald’s, leaves with bag packed with cash
- Boehner: It took me 3 to 4 hours to sign up for Obamacare
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Policy should be bipartisan issue
President Obama’s stimulus package and health care law were partisan, lengthy and unread — yet they passed and were subject to interpretation and regulations, including the addition of fees and taxes to be written in later. The economy has been slowed, and unemployment remains high. All taxpayers have been saddled with higher and hidden taxes, higher costs for health care and fewer participating physicians and patient services.
The Democrats’ agenda on gun control and immigration is to severely restrict law-abiding citizens from owning guns and to add some 30 million more family members of illegal immigrants to our citizen population — so they can vote for Democrats, no doubt. Republicans had no say in the stimulus and health care bills, and they have not been able to deter Mr. Obama from carrying out onerous Environmental Protection Agency rules.
Transparent, effective policies could be achieved through having all members of Congress debate these issues and by allowing the public to provide input. Freedom of gun ownership provided for in the Second Amendment and priority for citizenship to those who have gone through the legal process should be bottom-line goals for negotiations on these issues.
MARVIN L. HOOVIS
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality: liberal group
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- CARSON: Getting to the top by starting at the bottom
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes
- Russian diplomats busted bilking $1.5 million from Medicaid
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time