- SeaTac, Wash.: City’s new $15 minimum wage heads to court
- Obama mulls support for Islamists in Syria, with conditions
- Obama ‘birther’ theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
- U.S. drone faulted for killing 14 ‘innocent civilians’ at Yemen wedding
- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Disappearance of hope and change
President Obama swept into office in 2009 with promises of “hope and change.” He also promised transparency in his administration and that he would work across the aisle with Republicans to find solutions to America’s problems. What has Mr. Obama done?
He continues to divide the nation. He has repeatedly shown that his real enemy is not al Qaeda and those who want to destroy America, but the Republican Party. The term “war on terrorism” is unspoken, but the president and his followers continue to attack Republicans mercilessly at every opportunity. Whatever happened to the pledge to find and punish the people responsible for the attack on our diplomats in Benghazi, Libya? Mr. Obama and his administration have caused distrust through misinformation and by viciously attacking those who have honest differences. There cannot be fair compromise without trust.
With the help of Democratic Sen. Harry Reid and Rep. Nancy Pelosi, Mr. Obama pushed through the Affordable Care Act. This was the crowning achievement of his first four years in office. Lawmakers passed this law before even reading or fully evaluating it. As this government mandate continues to be implemented, it is becoming clear that it’s a disastrous boondoggle. It is also very clear that Mr. Obama either didn’t have a clue about the real cost of this legislation or he intentionally misled the American people. We are $16.7 trillion in debt. How can we afford bigger bureaucracy and even more government spending?
What I detest about Mr. Obama is not his skin color but his foolish, destructive and failed liberal ideas and his aversion to the truth.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
Get Breaking Alerts
- House budget bargain faces Senate filibuster; Republicans line up to oppose
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- Broncos-Chargers game ends with several stabbings
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- American missing in Iran was CIA operative who went rogue
- Obama birther theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
- Kim Jong-un consolidating power or losing grip on North Korea's military
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- PRUDEN: The last living witnesses; they wore the yellow star and remember the Nazi terror
- KEENE: James Clapper should resign for lying to Congress