- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Liturgy should be singular, borderless
Question of the Day
The goal of every pope ever elected is liturgical unity ("Many U.S. Catholics want Pope Francis to hold the line, inspire," Web, Friday). However, Carlos Caso-Rosendi's comment that the American church needs to return to an American brand of Catholicism seems to suggest a diversion from the idea of liturgical unity. The Catholic ways should be consistent, regardless of the geographical location. A parish in Manila should celebrate Mass the same way a parish in San Francisco does.
It is right that the Catholic Church and its leaders live by the Bible's teachings and Catholicism. That means being pro-life. Pope Francis is pro-life, and he has received many criticisms from Catholics in a country of such diverse cultures as the United States. Needless to say, regardless of the margin of diversity or geographical location, leaders should uphold the traditional Catholic ways. I hope Pope Francis is able to enforce that elusive liturgical unity.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'