- People will be safe at 118th Boston Marathon, Mayor Marty Walsh says
- Boy Scout, 12, killed by rolling tree during troop outing at Washington park
- South Korean president: Ferry crew actions ‘murderous’
- President Obama poised to grant clemency to nonviolent drug offenders: report
- Teen OK after riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- Kraft recalls 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer hot dogs over cheese error
- Boy Scouts boots church as host after gay leadership dispute
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s new book raises 2016 presidential speculation
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Rep. Marsha Blackburn: Hillary Clinton won’t be first female president
Woods went public with Vonn to devalue photos
The star athletes simultaneously posted messages on their Facebook pages this week to confirm they are dating. The 14-time major champion included four studio photos of himself and Vonn, both smiling in a casual setting _ he, in blue jeans and a white golf shirt; she, in a light blue warm-up jacket. Vonn posted one of the photos on her page.
Woods is fiercely private when it comes to his personal life, even before his downfall in November 2009 over multiple extramarital affairs.
So why now?
“Well, it’s very simple,” Woods said Wednesday at the Arnold Palmer Invitational. “We’re very happy where we’re at, but also we wanted to limit the `stalkarazzi’ and all those sleazy websites that are out there following us. I’ve had situations where it’s been very dangerous for my kids and the extent they’ll go to. We basically devalued the first photos. Unfortunately, that’s just the way it is in our society right now, and we felt like it was the best thing to do. I’m very happy about it.”
Despite his worldwide fame, Woods has never liked anyone making money off him. He once sued a painter for a series of numbered prints that included Woods winning the Masters in 1997. He had an island to himself when he got married in 2004 and brought along a golf photographer he knew to take pictures. After his two children were born, their pictures were released through a photo agency.
Woods is no stranger to paparazzi. Photographers hounded him and his ex-wife, Elin Nordegren, for weeks after he crashed his SUV into a fire hydrant and his serial infidelity came to light in 2009. No one saw Woods for nearly three months after the accident, though the paparazzi managed to get photos of Elin without a wedding ring _ something industry experts said was worth about $20,000.
This was the first time Woods has confirmed he was dating anyone since his divorce in August 2010.
“This season has been great so far and I’m happy with my wins at Torrey and Doral,” Woods said in his Facebook message. “Something nice that’s happened off the course was meeting Lindsey Vonn. Lindsey and I have been friends for some time, but over the last few months we have become very close and are now dating.”
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Building a D.C. memorial for an endless war bumps into regulations
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.