- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
North Korea, South raise tensions with threats, drills
Question of the Day
The threat comes amid heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula — and increasingly bellicose rhetoric from the North — that have prompted the U.S. to increase the number of missile interceptors in Alaska, among other measures.
On Tuesday, as part of a joint U.S.-South Korean military exercise code-named “Key Resolve,” U.S. officials said a B-52 strategic bomber capable of carrying nuclear weapons flew over South Korea. On Wednesday, the U.S. Embassy in Seoul tweeted a photo of the bomber in the air.
North Korea’s state broadcaster issued the air raid alert at about 9:30 a.m. local time, telling civilians to take cover in bomb shelters and directing military units to undertake unspecified countermeasures in what appeared to be a simulcast with the military’s own cable-based broadcast network, analysts said.
The alert was lifted after one hour. Other state-controlled media outlets, such as the Korean Central News Agency and Chosun Central TV, did not report on the alert.
“This was the first use of the public radio system for broadcasting an air raid warning,” military intelligence analyst John McCreary said in an email to The Washington Times. “This was probably a no-notice drill in response to the U.S. announcement about B-52s operating over South Korea.”
Mr. McCreary said the alert was likely a test rather than a full-scale civil defense drill because it lasted only one hour, whereas a full-scale drill takes up to a full day in large cities.
“The use of a nationwide radio broadcast implies the North’s leaders expect they will need such a system at a time when people would be away from their homes … They expect the population to respond swiftly according to plan without advance warning. That is uncommonly realistic preparation,” Mr. McCreary said. “The B-52 announcement had effect.”
An anonymous officer at the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff told the Yonhap news agency that the alert was likely intended to underline for both the civilian population and the military that the country is engaged in an increasingly tense standoff.
The rhetorical temperature has been rising on both sides of the demilitarized zone that divides the two countries since the imposition earlier this month of tough new U.N. sanctions on North Korea in response to Pyongyang’s illegal nuclear test in February.
A few days after the U.N. acted, the Key Resolve exercise got under way. Although the U.S. and South Korea have stressed the drill is defensive in nature, Pyongyang has condemned it as a rehearsal for an invasion.
The 10-day joint exercise, the first to be planned and carried out under the command of South Korean rather than U.S. forces, ended Thursday and a senior U.S. military official said it had been a success.
“This is the first major exercise that [South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff] has planned and conducted. We did everything we needed to do for training. The opportunity to get together was excellent,” Lt. Gen. John Johnson, the 8th Army Commander, told Yonhap.
In recent months, North Korea has said it has scrapped the cease-fire that ended fighting in the Korean War in 1953, and cut off a hotline to South Korea. The secretive regime also has threatened a “pre-emptive” nuclear attack on the United States and noted that the U.S. mainland is within reach of its rockets.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Shaun Waterman is an award-winning reporter for The Washington Times, covering foreign affairs, defense and cybersecurity. He was a senior editor and correspondent for United Press International for nearly a decade, and has covered the Department of Homeland Security since 2003. His reporting on the Sept. 11 Commission and the tortuous process by which some of its recommendations finally became ...
- Senator's memo shows Iran links in Homeland Security's troubled immigration program
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- Dems back bill to fix problems in investor visa program
- Democrats proceed with Mayorkas vote despite pending investigation
- NSA monitored 'World of Warcraft' players
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq