Continued from page 1

Sheriff’s Lt. Rod Armalin said the department is working on legislation to increase the penalties.

Armalin supervises the team that responds to many of these illegal parties and tries to prevent them from happening.

“Over the past year we’ve seen an increase in incidents,” Armalin said. “It seems like it’s really taken off with young people. … They’re openly advertising, `Hey we’re going to sell nitrous oxide, and there are going to be children there,’ and that’s a concern.”

Nitrous oxide isn’t the only dangerous substance teens are turning to for a quick and cheap high. On Monday, a 14-year-old Los Angeles honors student died after inhaling computer keyboard dust cleaner, apparently to get high. Aria Doherty’s sister found her in bed with a can of compressed air cleaning product attached to her mouth.

Earlier this month a 12-year-old San Bernardino County girl, Kristal Salcido, died after inhaling Freon from an air conditioner.

___

Tami Abdollah can be reached at http://www.twitter.com/latams.