- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
- CDC sees measles spike and ‘failure to vaccinate’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Left thinks they know best
As expected, the Maryland General Assembly voted to abolish capital punishment ("Md. House committee OKs death penalty repeal," Web, March 8). Leftism is the most dynamic and vibrant religion in the West today. In many areas of life, from morals to education, economics and art, it is replacing the traditional American Judeo-Christian value system.
The leftist ideology says it is elevated, just, compassionate and kind to allow all murderers to retain their most precious possession: their life. Hence, leftists must also think their kindness is more important than the lives of murdered kindergartners and their families and friends. They must think it "progressive" for sadists to destroy the lives of so many in mass murder, then sit in prison and watch TV or write manifestos explaining their twisted views.
This is what the left calls elevated modern thought. The conservative right calls it degenerate, regressive, highly unjust, uncivilized and unkind. The left takes its dogma from the pages of The Washington Post and the The New York Times, the right from the only commandment in the Bible mentioned in all five key books of the Old Testament: A man who murders shall be killed. This, the conservative argues, elevates us by clearly and powerfully stating that life is the ultimate good -- and life is the most precious thing on Earth.
When you take an innocent life, you pay with your own. Apparently, those on the left think the wisdom of the ages is wrong and they will, as our president has clearly articulated, transform us. The left and right live in two different moral universes.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- New battlefront emerges in war between Republicans, tea party
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Budget negotiators look to federal workers for benefit concessions
- Obama downplays IRS scandal, blames Obamacare rollout on 'outdated' agencies