- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
- Texas seizes polygamist Warren Jeffs’ 1,600-acre ranch
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: McAuliffe doesn’t measure up
Democracy is founded on the will of the people, but it is fragile and depends upon elected officials to represent fairly the will of constituents and to govern competently in accordance with that will. The people have rights and expectations for good governance that they expect to be honored. The people have generally trusted political parties to nominate qualified candidates.
Terry McAuliffe, running for Virginia governor, is the latest example of how that trust has been violated ("Poll shows Cuccinelli, McAuliffe tied in Virginia," Web, Feb. 20). On multiple occasions, Mr. McAuliffe has admitted he does not know or will not discuss the issues and that he has little understanding of the role of the governor's Cabinet. This ignorance includes the critical functions of the governor's office in regional and national security. Mr. McAuliffe has been unable or unwilling to rise to the demands of the office and should be embarrassed. Virginians deserve better and should absolutely reject him.
KURT J. SNAPPER
Oak Hill, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Hillary swoons at admitted illegal immigrant: 'Wow,' you're 'incredibly brave'
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable