- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Ukraine’s Crimea seeks to become independent state
- Ex-Gov. Christie aides to judge: Quash subpoenas
- Rich Peverley collapses on Dallas Stars bench; game postponed
- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: McAuliffe doesn’t measure up
Democracy is founded on the will of the people, but it is fragile and depends upon elected officials to represent fairly the will of constituents and to govern competently in accordance with that will. The people have rights and expectations for good governance that they expect to be honored. The people have generally trusted political parties to nominate qualified candidates.
Terry McAuliffe, running for Virginia governor, is the latest example of how that trust has been violated ("Poll shows Cuccinelli, McAuliffe tied in Virginia," Web, Feb. 20). On multiple occasions, Mr. McAuliffe has admitted he does not know or will not discuss the issues and that he has little understanding of the role of the governor's Cabinet. This ignorance includes the critical functions of the governor's office in regional and national security. Mr. McAuliffe has been unable or unwilling to rise to the demands of the office and should be embarrassed. Virginians deserve better and should absolutely reject him.
KURT J. SNAPPER
Oak Hill, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
Get Breaking Alerts
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Man with stolen passport on missing jet is asylum seeker
- Al Qaeda to launch English-language Web magazine 'Resurgence'
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats’ pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- EDITORIAL: Enforce the Law Act aims to hold Obama accountable
- EDITORIAL: Relief from 'homeowners association nightmares'
- EDITORIAL: Lawyers encouraging pursuit of jackpot justice
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same