- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Dutch receiving Malaysia plane bodies irked at Putin’s daughter in Holland
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Shameful statistic on spousal abandonment
Question of the Day
A study in recent years on partner abandonment found that men are six times more likely than women to leave a seriously sick spouse. I have never felt so humiliated by my sex as I did after reading that study. It was the closest I have ever come to considering a sex-change operation.
The main excuse given when a man leaves a wife with dementia or Alzheimer’s is, “Her body is there, but she’s gone.” I used to believe that. But when you forget where you left your keys, does that mean you were not there?
When people develop dementia, through brain injury or aging, they become less able to retrieve memories. In time, they are robbed of the ability to recognize even their own loved ones. She’s in there, all right, but she can’t find her keys. She will never find them. The woman who gave you everything she had now desperately needs you more than she has ever needed anyone in her life. Sure, go ahead and walk away. Start a new life. I guess she won’t know anyway, will she?
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: 'Emergency plan' launched
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- CROWLEY: The good-time president
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe