- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Inside the Beltway: Lawmaker march madness
TAKE POT FOR GRANITE
“The New Hampshire House of Representatives adopted a “Live Free and Get High” mantra Thursday, decriminalizing possession of less than a quarter ounce of marijuana,” proclaims The Nashua Telegraph, a New Hampshire newspaper.
“Live free or die,” of course, has been the Granite State’s official motto since 1945.
But never mind retooling the license plates, which bear the phrase. Outside of medicinal use, Gov. Maggie Hassan opposes the bill, says her spokesman Marc Gregory.
WOE IS US
“By 2016, the United States will no longer be the world’s No. 1 economy. That title will be handed over to none other than the current No. 2: China. The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Paris said in report published this week that China was on course to surpass the U.S. economy in just three short years,” says Kenneth Rapoza, a contributor to Forbes magazine.
“That’s about the time President Barack Obama will end his second term. The next president will potentially be the first one since World War II that didn’t govern the world’s most powerful economy,” he notes.
One California lawmaker has discovered that there is still public fascination about the late Andrew Breitbart. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher hosted a screening of “Hating Breitbart,” a documentary about the media maven and provocateur. Several hundred enthusiastic fans showed up at the Costa Mesa, Calif., event.
“The film was both entertaining and inspiring. We know that we have lost a great champion of truth, but we also know that it’s up to us to let his courage and commitment to truth inspire us to carry the torch forward,” Mr. Rohrabacher reports.
The film will be released May 17 in select theaters across the U.S. and on DVD and video on demand.
“We wanted to capture Andrew as he was: loud, passionate and occasionally profane when he saw liberal hypocrisy in the mainstream media,” director Andrew Marcus told the assembled crowd. “But we also wanted to make sure that all Americans can see what a fascinating man he was and why his messages of media corruption and the rising tide of citizen journalism are even more important today than when he passed away.”
POLL DU JOUR
• 85 percent of U.S. voters favor requiring criminal background checks on all gun buyers; 83 percent of Republicans and 90 percent of Democrats agree.
• 72 percent overall favor “mental health checks” on all gun buyers; 64 percent of Republicans and 80 percent of Democrats agree.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: An agenda-free Easter
- Inside the Beltway: A Hillary-free 2016 would confound Democrats
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- George P. Bush - son of Jeb - the lead figure in the Bush political push for now
- Inside the Beltway: The appeal of 'strong America'
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.