- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Donald Trump warns of ‘dangerous precedent’ in Cyprus bank skimming
Real estate tycoon and political gadfly Donald Trump said Monday a proposal to skim funds from bank accounts in Cyprus is a "very dangerous precedent" for other nations struggling with debt.
"What they're doing is rather incredible, because they're taking people's money away," he said in a call-in with Fox & Friends.
EU leaders have reached a deal that would toss the controversial plan to tax bank deposits, yet bondholders will take losses and depositors with more than 100,000 euros will be penalized, according to a New York Times report.
Mr. Trump said the bailout sets a poor example for struggling countries in the EU — such as Spain — and even the United States as it searches for a way to rein in its debt.
"It's something you have to be thinking about," said Mr. Trump, who has inserted himself in GOP politics and acted as a sort of kingmaker during the last presidential election.
More broadly, he said the EU's initial plan was to "take advantage of" of the United States.
"It's not working out so well right now," he told the show.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tax-prep firms pitch in, cash in on Obamacare
- Obama tries to reassure Hispanics on Obamacare
- Half of uninsured look to Obamacare exchanges for coverage
- Another Obamacare deadline moved: Non-compliant plans get 2-year extension
- House votes to delay Obamacare individual mandate
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again