- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Religion and science are both faith-based
Question of the Day
I found it interesting that scientists recently discovered their long-sought-after “God particle” when they smashed minuscule particles of nuclear matter together and recorded the resultant debris from those collisions (” ‘God particle’: Confirmation is ‘achingly close,’ ” Web, March 6). While scientists have stated that they haven’t actually seen this particle, they know it exists nonetheless through indirect evidence.
More than likely, these scientists will award each other with Nobel Prizes and additional accolades that highlight their newfound belief in the existence of this “God particle.” This discovery, while noteworthy in itself, belies the fact that most scientists and many in academia find a belief in a God reprehensible and childish — even though many people look for evidence of a personal God in the exact same fashion that particle physicists looked for their “God particle” — through indirect evidence.
MATTHEW R. POWENSKI
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- New York Times reporter Carol Vogel accused of plagiarism
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line