- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Key justice: ‘Immediate injury’ in gay marriage ban
Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, often pegged as a key swing-vote between the court’s conservative and liberal blocs, has signaled that children of same-sex couples suffer an “immediate legal injury” from California’s ban on gay marriage, according to an account of the high court’s oral arguments provided by Bloomberg News.
While protesters chanted, prayed and waved signs outside, the justices are hearing a one-hour argument on Proposition 8 — the California ballot initiative that effectively prohibits gay marriage, even though residents once enjoyed the right in the Golden State.
Early prognostication of how the high court will rule — especially based on oral arguments — is tricky business, after at least one major news outlet initially misreported the result of last June’s “Obamacare” ruling.
Justices are hearing arguments on California’s ban today, but will not decide the case until June or so. The same is true for their consideration of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) — a law that prohibits gay married couples from getting federal benefits — which will come before the court on Wednesday.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Most Americans OK with Obamacare contraception mandate: study
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban
- Sebelius not running for Senate, HHS confirms: Report
- Red fox makes a home for himself at the White House: Report
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014