- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Key justice: ‘Immediate injury’ in gay marriage ban
Supreme CourtJustice Anthony Kennedy, often pegged as a key swing-vote between the court’s conservative and liberal blocs, has signaled that children of same-sex couples suffer an “immediate legal injury” from California’s ban on gay marriage, according to an account of the high court’s oral arguments provided by Bloomberg News.
While protesters chanted, prayed and waved signs outside, the justices are hearing a one-hour argument on Proposition 8 — the California ballot initiative that effectively prohibits gay marriage, even though residents once enjoyed the right in the Golden State.
Early prognostication of how the high court will rule — especially based on oral arguments — is tricky business, after at least one major news outlet initially misreported the result of last June’s “Obamacare” ruling.
Justices are hearing arguments on California’s ban today, but will not decide the case until June or so. The same is true for their consideration of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) — a law that prohibits gay married couples from getting federal benefits — which will come before the court on Wednesday.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tax-prep firms pitch in, cash in on Obamacare
- Obama tries to reassure Hispanics on Obamacare
- Half of uninsured look to Obamacare exchanges for coverage
- Another Obamacare deadline moved: Non-compliant plans get 2-year extension
- House votes to delay Obamacare individual mandate
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- AP Exclusive: Man said to create bitcoin denies it
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- First pot business license issued in Washington
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again