- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
- U.N. school in Gaza caught in cross-fire; 15 killed
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: DNC chair insults starvation victims
Question of the Day
Last week, Democratic National Committee Chairman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Florida Democrat, claimed congressional staff members were on the verge of starvation because of automatic budget cuts that recently went into effect (“Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Sequester nearly starving staffers,” Web, Friday). These federal employees can dine in one of several tax-subsidized cafeterias around Washington, and they earn $60,000 to $160,000 a year - three to seven times the income of an average family of four.
Ms. Wasserman Schultz should be made to watch film from World War II that shows Allied troops liberating the Nazi death camps in Eastern Europe. She would see footage of piles of dead, starved victims and trenches full of those who were literally worked to death.
I am 65 years old and can remember when the Democratic Party had class, character and morals. Over the past five years, the progressives like Ms. Wasserman Schultz have shown themselves to be arrogant and ignorant, as well as out of touch with the real world.
SHAWN N. HAUSER
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare enrollees faking for freebies