- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Exceptionalism hinges on morality
Question of the Day
In "'Oddball heaven' works for America" (Commentary, Tuesday) Victor Davis Hanson seems confident that American exceptionalism will continue - and he concludes that American exceptionalism will end when we end the freedom of the individual. This poses the question, are we losing our individual freedom?
John Witherspoon, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, defined freedom as the luxury enjoyed by men of virtue. On the subject of virtue, Samuel Adams observed that "[w]hile the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue, they will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader." What, then, is virtue? Is it not the pursuit of moral goodness and excellence? In previous times, there was a common and enduring understanding of right and wrong, of moral goodness. Now it seems to me that we as a nation no longer share a common understanding of moral values, but rather each person determines his or her own values. How are we to determine when morals have been violated without a common understanding of right and wrong?
Consequently, I believe that we are weakened as a nation by this loss of a common virtue - and we will be subject to an erosion of our freedoms as suggested by Samuel Adams and others. I think we are seeing a certain loss of individual freedom occurring in our present day.
DANIEL P. McKIM
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
Get Breaking Alerts
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- WEST: Those who would rather join the jihadi army than their own nation's army
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine