- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gun control won’t fix morality problem
New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg will work for the passage of federal gun control laws to curb gun violence and "to stop the carnage" ("Mayor Bloomberg's irresponsible gun attack ads," Web, Monday). "Carnage" means the savage killing of many people, which our society and courts deemed to be crimes of moral turpitude centuries ago. The problem is not a lack of gun control; rather it is that many of our children and adults have never received the moral education once common throughout the United States because liberals, progressives and so-called independents have been forcing a nonjudgmental society on us.
For decades, liberals, progressives and so-called independents such as Mr. Bloomberg have attacked and undermined the institutions of our society that educated our children in basic morality. Many children have been taught it is wrong and anti-social to make judgments about other people or their behavior while saying little or nothing about what behavior society has judged unacceptable. Here's a news flash: Human beings have had to be judgmental from the day they began to form social groups. In modern times, this need is epitomized in our criminal codes, where one finds thousands of judgments on unacceptable behavior.
The nation is beginning to reap the whirlwind that was sown when leftists took over society's institutions that conveyed moral guidelines to our children, institutions like the education system, TV and movies, even the court system. Gun control will not change the bad actor.
JAMES M. DORN
Chino Hills, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Get Breaking Alerts
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- EDITORIAL: Senate rejects Adegbile for Justice post
- 'Blarney Blowout' near UMass results in 73 arrests; 4 officers injured
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Gates: Obama strategy won't stop Putin
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for feckless president to show resolve
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama reserves 'Chicago way' for GOP
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Public education would wither in free market
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults