- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gun control won’t fix morality problem
New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg will work for the passage of federal gun control laws to curb gun violence and "to stop the carnage" ("Mayor Bloomberg's irresponsible gun attack ads," Web, Monday). "Carnage" means the savage killing of many people, which our society and courts deemed to be crimes of moral turpitude centuries ago. The problem is not a lack of gun control; rather it is that many of our children and adults have never received the moral education once common throughout the United States because liberals, progressives and so-called independents have been forcing a nonjudgmental society on us.
For decades, liberals, progressives and so-called independents such as Mr. Bloomberg have attacked and undermined the institutions of our society that educated our children in basic morality. Many children have been taught it is wrong and anti-social to make judgments about other people or their behavior while saying little or nothing about what behavior society has judged unacceptable. Here's a news flash: Human beings have had to be judgmental from the day they began to form social groups. In modern times, this need is epitomized in our criminal codes, where one finds thousands of judgments on unacceptable behavior.
The nation is beginning to reap the whirlwind that was sown when leftists took over society's institutions that conveyed moral guidelines to our children, institutions like the education system, TV and movies, even the court system. Gun control will not change the bad actor.
JAMES M. DORN
Chino Hills, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers