- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gun control won’t fix morality problem
Question of the Day
New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg will work for the passage of federal gun control laws to curb gun violence and "to stop the carnage" ("Mayor Bloomberg's irresponsible gun attack ads," Web, Monday). "Carnage" means the savage killing of many people, which our society and courts deemed to be crimes of moral turpitude centuries ago. The problem is not a lack of gun control; rather it is that many of our children and adults have never received the moral education once common throughout the United States because liberals, progressives and so-called independents have been forcing a nonjudgmental society on us.
For decades, liberals, progressives and so-called independents such as Mr. Bloomberg have attacked and undermined the institutions of our society that educated our children in basic morality. Many children have been taught it is wrong and anti-social to make judgments about other people or their behavior while saying little or nothing about what behavior society has judged unacceptable. Here's a news flash: Human beings have had to be judgmental from the day they began to form social groups. In modern times, this need is epitomized in our criminal codes, where one finds thousands of judgments on unacceptable behavior.
The nation is beginning to reap the whirlwind that was sown when leftists took over society's institutions that conveyed moral guidelines to our children, institutions like the education system, TV and movies, even the court system. Gun control will not change the bad actor.
JAMES M. DORN
Chino Hills, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title