- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gun control won’t fix morality problem
Question of the Day
New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg will work for the passage of federal gun control laws to curb gun violence and "to stop the carnage" ("Mayor Bloomberg's irresponsible gun attack ads," Web, Monday). "Carnage" means the savage killing of many people, which our society and courts deemed to be crimes of moral turpitude centuries ago. The problem is not a lack of gun control; rather it is that many of our children and adults have never received the moral education once common throughout the United States because liberals, progressives and so-called independents have been forcing a nonjudgmental society on us.
For decades, liberals, progressives and so-called independents such as Mr. Bloomberg have attacked and undermined the institutions of our society that educated our children in basic morality. Many children have been taught it is wrong and anti-social to make judgments about other people or their behavior while saying little or nothing about what behavior society has judged unacceptable. Here's a news flash: Human beings have had to be judgmental from the day they began to form social groups. In modern times, this need is epitomized in our criminal codes, where one finds thousands of judgments on unacceptable behavior.
The nation is beginning to reap the whirlwind that was sown when leftists took over society's institutions that conveyed moral guidelines to our children, institutions like the education system, TV and movies, even the court system. Gun control will not change the bad actor.
JAMES M. DORN
Chino Hills, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By James A. Lyons Jr.
The president has shifted alliance from friend to enemy
Get Breaking Alerts
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan