- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Tea Party Patriots call key GOP firing a declaration of war
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Gun control won’t fix morality problem
Question of the Day
New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg will work for the passage of federal gun control laws to curb gun violence and "to stop the carnage" ("Mayor Bloomberg's irresponsible gun attack ads," Web, Monday). "Carnage" means the savage killing of many people, which our society and courts deemed to be crimes of moral turpitude centuries ago. The problem is not a lack of gun control; rather it is that many of our children and adults have never received the moral education once common throughout the United States because liberals, progressives and so-called independents have been forcing a nonjudgmental society on us.
For decades, liberals, progressives and so-called independents such as Mr. Bloomberg have attacked and undermined the institutions of our society that educated our children in basic morality. Many children have been taught it is wrong and anti-social to make judgments about other people or their behavior while saying little or nothing about what behavior society has judged unacceptable. Here's a news flash: Human beings have had to be judgmental from the day they began to form social groups. In modern times, this need is epitomized in our criminal codes, where one finds thousands of judgments on unacceptable behavior.
The nation is beginning to reap the whirlwind that was sown when leftists took over society's institutions that conveyed moral guidelines to our children, institutions like the education system, TV and movies, even the court system. Gun control will not change the bad actor.
JAMES M. DORN
Chino Hills, Calif.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- GOP Rep. Tim Murphy rolls out mental health legislation
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Selfie at heart of Obama fiasco to stay secret
- White House faces press revolt over access to Obama's South Africa flight
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system