- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Offending Christians not deemed newsworthy
I join Florida Gov. Rick Scott in commending Florida Atlantic University student Ryan Rotela for having the courage to stand up for his faith. I also question why Mr. Rotela’s professor, Deandre Poole — someone who demanded students desecrate the name of Jesus — is still in the employ of the university.
Had the name of the Islamic prophet, Muhammad, been written down, and had students been commanded to stomp on that paper, the entire mainstream media would have been calling for the firing of the professor and a boycott of the school. Unfortunately, Christians have for too long been trained to turn the other cheek at actions offensive to them — and those who don’t do so are labeled right-wing radicals.
Apparently Mr. Scott’s rebuke got Mr. Rotela reinstated in good standing. But as far as I’m concerned, that’s just like letting a shoplifter return the goods and walk free without penalty. We need more people like Mr. Scott and Mr. Rotela — and fewer like Mr. Poole.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- MILLER: Obamas EPA closing smelter will not affect ammunition supply
- NYC alarms with notice: Immediately surrender your rifle
- Pentagon may give recruits 'a shot to start over' after shameful social media posts
- Allen West warns Obamas backdoor gun control is moving forward
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Puerto Rico caravan honoring Paul Walker ends in 6 drunken-driving arrests, 72 speeding tickets