- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Swiss vote to impose world’s strictest rules on executive pay
Swiss voters have spoken, imposing some of the strictest rules in the world on executive paychecks.
Early returns in a referendum Sunday revealed that 68 percent of voters backed plans for corporate shareholders to veto executive pay and for a ban on big rewards for new and departing managers, The Daily Mail reports.
Anger over the big bonuses blamed for fueling risky investments that nearly flattened Swiss bank UBS, as well as outrage over a proposed $78 million golden parachute to outgoing Novartis Chairman Daniel Vasella, contributed to the referendum, The Mail reports.
“It emotionalized and it mobilized,” Claude Longchamp, of pollsters Gfs.Bern, said of the parachute that Novartis ultimately canceled last month.
Executives have threatened that the rules will make the country seem less palatable to international companies, which previously have been drawn to Switzerland by low taxes, stable politics and business-friendly laws, The Mail reports. But companies likely will seek loopholes around the new rules to reward executives.
The deal must be signed off on by European Union governments before being enforced next year.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Discovery Channel cancels Mt. Everest jump after avalanche kills 13
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Malaysia Airlines flight makes emergency landing in Kuala Lumpur
- 7-year-old twin boys fight off carjacker with toy snake
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Glenn Beck takes on Hollywood with big movie production plans
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.