- Pope Francis shakes Vatican Bank with ‘earthquake’ reforms
- White House: Obamacare didn’t matter in Florida special election
- Last laugh: Marine vet fires off jokes from the grave with own obituary
- Gas blast destroys 2 N.Y. buildings; 6 people dead
- 2 dead, 23 hurt when driver plows into SXSW crowd
- Student protester shot, killed amid Venezuela unrest
- ‘Between Two Ferns’ director rushes to Obama’s defense, blasts O’Reilly
- Marine springs into action, runs down and tackles alleged Boston purse snatcher
- Education Department botching loan-amnesty program: GAO review
- Snowden: NSA uses fake Facebook to hack into users’ computers
HAGELIN: What families need is more nurturing and less meddling
Culture challenge of the week: Government-funded preschool education
How to save your family: Don’t let the government do your job
Don’t let the government have even more control over your family. When children are 3 and 4 years old, they soak up new skills and ideas like sponges. Their best teachers are Mom and Dad. More important are the hugs, stability, kindness, values and love from their families that toddlers need in large doses every day. Our sons and daughters don’t need to spend extra hours in government-sponsored programs, learning life skills from their playmates and basic values from government employees.
While not every mother (or father) can stay home, our laws and federal programs ought to encourage parents to invest more time, not less, in their children.
The bottom line should be obvious: Mom and Dad are better than Aunt Nanny State and Uncle Sam Sitter. Give your children more of you.
• Rebecca Hagelin can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- John Kerry says any resumption of aid to Egypt would depend on reforms in Cairo
- Military families would take a $5,000 hit in benefits with Obama budget
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
- Special ops forces wearing thin from high demand
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again