- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
HAGELIN: What families need is more nurturing and less meddling
Culture challenge of the week: Government-funded preschool education
Question of the Day
How to save your family: Don’t let the government do your job
Don’t let the government have even more control over your family. When children are 3 and 4 years old, they soak up new skills and ideas like sponges. Their best teachers are Mom and Dad. More important are the hugs, stability, kindness, values and love from their families that toddlers need in large doses every day. Our sons and daughters don’t need to spend extra hours in government-sponsored programs, learning life skills from their playmates and basic values from government employees.
While not every mother (or father) can stay home, our laws and federal programs ought to encourage parents to invest more time, not less, in their children.
The bottom line should be obvious: Mom and Dad are better than Aunt Nanny State and Uncle Sam Sitter. Give your children more of you.
• Rebecca Hagelin can be reached at email@example.com.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- House backs faster deportations, cancels 'Dreamer' policy
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors