- Ukraine PM vows to find ‘bastards’ behind anti-Semitic fliers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation in South Korea
- Militants kill 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Don’t confuse skill with valor
One of the last acts of Leon E. Panetta as secretary of defense was to create a new medal to be awarded to those who direct the military's lethal drones in strikes against terrorists ("Pentagon uproar over Panetta's hero medals for drone operators, cybersleuths," Web, Feb. 15). Identification badges or emblems for specific kinds of work are normal for the military and recognition of the special skills involved in piloting the drones is certainly worthwhile.
Some might question whether a medal is called for here, but I can remember when an enlisted man stayed out of jail and did not get demoted for 12 months, he received a Good Conduct Medal -- thus, the medal precedent has been established. What is disturbing is that in the hierarchy of medals, the new Distinguished Warfare Medal, awarded for skill, ranks higher than the Bronze Star, which is awarded for valor. Both are highly desirable, but they are not to be confused.
Indeed, one does not have to be very smart to be valorous -- take my word for it, I have a Bronze Star -- while intelligence, I think, is necessary to pilot a drone. Valor and skill are two different attributes, both valuable. If we begin to value skill over valor, however, we may end up with a highly skilled but not very successful military.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?