- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
- Israel flattens home of top Hamas leader, takes out power plant
- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
SIMMONS: Idea to replace national anthem just plain wrong
Question of the Day
At a charity game this week, Washington Wizards players Garrett Temple and Martell Webster decided on a whim to sing “The Star Spangled Banner,” and like a lot of other celebrity and noncelebrity performers, their rendition is memorable as they sang the high notes off key.
But, oh, say, can you see changing America’s national anthem to a song written and produced by R. Kelly?
There are a million-plus-1 reasons why President Obama shouldn’t change the national anthem — and surely not bow to a replacing it with the Kelly song “Ignition (remix),” which wreaks of fellas and honeys bouncin,’ bumpin’ and grindin.’
Why are we even discussing this?
Some people who have too much time on their hands have created an online petition, courtesy of the White House’s We the People website, to press the issue with the Obama administration.
In the online petition, which mocks several of Mr. Kelly’s “Ignition” phrases, petitioners say it’s time for America to get a new groove on.
The petition reads: “We, the undersigned, would like the Obama administration to recognize the need for a new national anthem, one that even a decade after its creation, is still hot and fresh out the kitchen. America has changed since Francis Scott Key penned our current anthem in 1814. Since then, we have realized that after the show, it’s the after-party, and that after the party, it’s the hotel lobby, and — perhaps most importantly — that ‘round about four, you’ve got to clear the lobby, at which point it’s strongly recommended that you take it to the room and freak somebody. President Obama: we ask you to recognize the evolution of this beautiful country and give us an anthem that better suits the glorious nation we have become.”
Indeed, “Ignition” is a good hip-swaying tune for getting a groove on when doing house chores.
While it’s highly unlikely the activists seeking a change will have their way, thousands are signing onto the petition urging Mr. Obama to undo what Congress and President Hoover set forth on March 3, 1931.
Casting aside, momentarily, the meaningful and explosive depictions by Francis Scott Key of a victorious and defining moment in time, we channel David Letterman on the Top 10 reasons why we shouldn’t swap “The Star Spangled Banner” for “Ignition.”
No. 10: Beyonce can’t sing about “bumpin’ ” with another woman even when she’s lip-syncing.
No. 9: Jay-Z could pull it off, but all his “bouncin’ ” is with Beyonce these days.
No. 8: The Obamas can’t explain to Sasha and Malia how birds and bees bounce and grind.
No. 7: Libertarians will balk at government intrusion.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Award-winning opinion writer Deborah Simmons is a senior correspondent who reports on City Hall and writes about education, culture, sports and family-related topics. Mrs. Simmons has worked at several newspapers, and since joining The Washington Times in 1985, has served as editorial-page editor and features editor and on the metro desk. She has taught copy editing at the University of ...
- SIMMONS: Re-education of humanity and the PC crowd
- SIMMONS: What happened in Vegas can't stay in Vegas
- SIMMONS: Tell Joe Biden and the NAACP that politics aren't black and white
- SIMMONS: Youthful sounds of music stirring in Prince George's County
- 'No cellphone' sidewalk pops up in D.C.
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq