- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
SIMMONS: Idea to replace national anthem just plain wrong
At a charity game this week, Washington Wizards players Garrett Temple and Martell Webster decided on a whim to sing “The Star Spangled Banner,” and like a lot of other celebrity and noncelebrity performers, their rendition is memorable as they sang the high notes off key.
But, oh, say, can you see changing America’s national anthem to a song written and produced by R. Kelly?
There are a million-plus-1 reasons why President Obama shouldn’t change the national anthem — and surely not bow to a replacing it with the Kelly song “Ignition (remix),” which wreaks of fellas and honeys bouncin,’ bumpin’ and grindin.’
Why are we even discussing this?
Some people who have too much time on their hands have created an online petition, courtesy of the White House’s We the People website, to press the issue with the Obama administration.
In the online petition, which mocks several of Mr. Kelly’s “Ignition” phrases, petitioners say it’s time for America to get a new groove on.
The petition reads: “We, the undersigned, would like the Obama administration to recognize the need for a new national anthem, one that even a decade after its creation, is still hot and fresh out the kitchen. America has changed since Francis Scott Key penned our current anthem in 1814. Since then, we have realized that after the show, it’s the after-party, and that after the party, it’s the hotel lobby, and — perhaps most importantly — that ‘round about four, you’ve got to clear the lobby, at which point it’s strongly recommended that you take it to the room and freak somebody. President Obama: we ask you to recognize the evolution of this beautiful country and give us an anthem that better suits the glorious nation we have become.”
Indeed, “Ignition” is a good hip-swaying tune for getting a groove on when doing house chores.
While it’s highly unlikely the activists seeking a change will have their way, thousands are signing onto the petition urging Mr. Obama to undo what Congress and President Hoover set forth on March 3, 1931.
Casting aside, momentarily, the meaningful and explosive depictions by Francis Scott Key of a victorious and defining moment in time, we channel David Letterman on the Top 10 reasons why we shouldn’t swap “The Star Spangled Banner” for “Ignition.”
No. 10: Beyonce can’t sing about “bumpin’ ” with another woman even when she’s lip-syncing.
No. 9: Jay-Z could pull it off, but all his “bouncin’ ” is with Beyonce these days.
No. 8: The Obamas can’t explain to Sasha and Malia how birds and bees bounce and grind.
No. 7: Libertarians will balk at government intrusion.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Award-winning opinion writer Deborah Simmons is a senior correspondent who reports on City Hall and writes about education, culture, sports and family-related topics. Mrs. Simmons has worked at several newspapers, and since joining The Washington Times in 1985, has served as editorial-page editor and features editor and on the metro desk. She has taught copy editing at the University of ...
- SIMMONS: In D.C. budget battle, another who's-in-charge decision awaits
- SIMMONS: Food police are leaving your school kids unfed
- SIMMONS: Disinterest among voters hard for Republicans, independents to weather
- SIMMONS: Put adults in hot seat for system's failure, for Relisha's sake
- SIMMONS: City can't bear leaders' silence in missing girl case
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Yelp.com's ethics questioned
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.