- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
- An appealing offer: Chiquita merges with Fyffes to make world’s largest banana firm
- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
Ahmadinejad to attend Chavez’s funeral in Caracas
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will leave Tehran for late Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez’s funeral in Caracas Thursday.
“As long as justice, love and freedom are alive, Hugo Chavez will be alive as well,” Mr. Ahmadinejad said in an address to the Venezuelan and Iranian people, FARS News Agency reports. “As long as nations are alive and strive for the materialization of independence, kindness and justice, he will be alive too.”
The Iranian president had met with Mr. Chavez several times over the past few years.
On Wednesday Syrian President Bashar Assad mourned Mr. Chavez, saying “the demise of this unique leader is as much a great loss for me personally and the Syrian people as it is for the people of Venezuela.”
In a report by Iranian PressTV, the Syrian government was quoted as saying Mr. Chavez was a friend of the regime:
“[Chavez] repeatedly declared his solidarity with Syria’s leadership and its people in the face of the fierce imperialist attack it was exposed to, and condemned the American pressure [on Syria].”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- Cardinal Dolan: Pope's remarks on same-sex unions not an endorsement
- 'Blarney Blowout' near UMass results in 73 arrests; 4 officers injured
- Dennis Rodman: 'I won't go back' to North Korea
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again