- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
Records show anti-lobbyist Obama took millions from lobbyists
Question of the Day
President Obama may state a public disdain for lobbyists, but his campaign coffers don't match his rhetoric. The Center for Public Integrity finds bundlers for his campaign, whose names were just released, hail from the lobbyist field.
Examples: Executive Vice President of UnitedHealth Group Anthony Welters, the CPI reports. Qualcomm co-founder Irwin Jacobs and his wife Joan. Both were listed as donors of at least $500,000 to the Obama Victory Fund, CPI says. And another, Andy Sandler, chairman at the legal and lobbyist company BuckleySandler, donated between $50,000 and $100,000 to Mr. Obama's campaign, CPI reports.
The donations aren't illegal. But they do run counter to previous claims from Mr. Obama and his campaign to not take money from the lobbyist industry.
For instance, in December 2011, the Obama fundraising campaign put this message out, PolitiFact reported: "We don't take a dime from D.C. lobbyists or special-interest PACs — never have and never will."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Federal judge angered by Hobby Lobby decision tells Supreme Court to 'stfu'
- Israel kicks off massive assault on Hamas: 'We're taking this to the next step'
- Obama takes up pen, paper to fight for Israeli-Palestinian peace
- Dinesh D'Souza book yanked from Costco shelves
- Mafia reacts to Church boot by bowing Virgin Mary before mob boss's home
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- GORDON: Russia plays its own game away from the World Cup
- Islamic militants aim to take Baghdad airport
- Power grab: EPA wants to garnish wages of polluters
- Malaysian MP not sorry for tweeting 'long live Hitler' after Germany win
- Costco to re-stock Dinesh D'Souza's 'America' after public outry
- EDITORIAL: Whats Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener