- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Collins’ sexuality makes him a hero?
NBA center Jason Collins is being hailed as a courageous trailblazer because he is the first professional basketball player to announce publicly that he is homosexual (“Jason Collins becomes first active openly gay NBA player,” Web, April 29). President Obama and former President Bill Clinton called him personally to give their congratulations and support, and White House spokesman Jay Carney spoke glowingly of Mr. Collins‘ brave, bold decision to “come out.”
One insider said, “He’s going to make more in endorsements than he’s ever made in his life.” Having broken the so-called “gay barrier,” Mr. Collins has instantly become the “new hero for countless young LGBT athletes.” Like Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks and the Marines on Iwo Jima, Mr. Collins has more than earned his place in history, right?
GARY A. GUBISCH
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws