- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Furlough shows Obama’s true concerns
Question of the Day
During the 2012 presidential campaign, President Obama promised to protect the middle class from the Republicans. He said he was the candidate of the “99 percent” while that evil Mitt Romney was the candidate of the 1 percent at the expense of everyone else. Unfortunately for us Americans, in the past few weeks, Mr. Obama has totally undermined this pledge, crushing the middle class to further his political standing.
Mr. Obama has grandstanded the sequestration, showing no flexibility in making smart cuts — and employees, noticeably those at the Federal Aviation Administration, were expected to pay the price. Under sequestration, the FAA’s budget was cut 5 percent. One would think, then, that employees such as air-traffic controllers would see their pay cut by 5 percent. In reality, Mr. Obama cut their pay by 10 percent by furloughing them every 10th day. Though the FAA furloughs were ended after a week, Republicans offered the president flexibility to avoid them in the first place — and some lawyers have said the continuing resolution provided Mr. Obama with enough flexibility to avoid instituting them (“FAA respite from sequester fuels budget fighting,” Web, April 28).
Instead, Mr. Obama decided to make middle-class Americans bear a disproportionate burden of otherwise-mild spending cuts. A 10 percent pay cut can make saving impossible and keeping up with the mortgage and other monthly payments challenging. Families struggling to get by, thanks to the already sluggish Obama economy, are made even worse off. Why would the president so blatantly attack typical Americans? He promised to defend us, after all.
The answer is cold-hearted politicking. By forcing more air-traffic controllers out of their airport towers, Mr. Obama knew delays would grow, annoying every American who travels. He wanted to channel this anger against Republicans, whom he likes to say forced the sequestration.
I had thought our president was simply incompetent; it is now clear he is a hypocrite who will ignore his campaign pledges to further himself, even at the expense of the Americans he promised to protect. We need to ensure all Americans see through this callous charade.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens